Friday, September 1, 2017

Horror Classics Mystery Minis - Series 1 - Review (Part 2), Conclusion

(If you haven't already, feel free to check out my Introduction and Review (Part 1) posts)

In my last Post, I went over 10 of the 16 figures in the Horror Classics Series 1. I will now go over the last 6 and also give my final thoughts at the end.

---
Character: Chucky (Scarred)
Appearance: Bride of Chucky (movie, 1998)
Rarity: 1/144
Another very rare variant, this time of Chucky in his fourth movie. The scar effects blend really well into the figure. I was very impressed with the regular Chucky figure, so these little scars add even more impressive detail!





Character: Freddy Krueger
Appearance: Freddy vs. Jason (movie, 2003)
Rarity: 2/24
I know what you might be thinking: This is Freddy from Nightmare on Elm Street, right? The differences are very subtle. The hat is lighter than his first appearance, and the glove is fully painted around his hand. Whether this was intentional or not I don't know, but I think he still can be classified as the classic Freddy! Anyway, I think they did a great job on his face sculpt. The proportions are a bit off, which I think is because it was an early design. Cool pose, neat figure, and quite a necessity to this great line-up.

Character: Jason Voorhees
Appearance: Freddy vs. Jason (movie, 2003)
Rarity: 2/24
Like Freddy, a few subtle differences make me say this is from the Freddy vs. Jason movie (black gloves, gray/blue-ish head, swampy textures). Again like Freddy, I think this can still be classified as a 'classic' Jason though. Now to the figure- This is one of the best in the series as well. I consider him the poster-boy of the series in fact. They added a lot of fine details to the jacket, pants, mask, and even the back of his head. How can they make such a scary character so adorable?

Character: Captain Spaulding
Appearance: House of 1,000 Corpses (movie, 2003)
Rarity: 2/24
Here's one I'm not too hot for. I honestly dislike the movies he is from and I didn't like his character either. This lead me to not picking this figure up till much later. As much as I don't like him, I can't say anything bad about the figure (besides the slightly strange posing, think they could have seperated his arms a bit more). The details, size, and sculpting on him is great. If you like this character and movies then I'm sure you'll want this little guy too!

Character: Billy the Puppet
Appearance: Saw (movie, 2004)
Rarity: 1/24
A nicely sculpted figure for a great character. I like the sculpting of the head and small hands/body. He's also the first figure to have 'pupils' in the eyes (and the only one in Series 2 and 3). It was a nice touch that I adds to the figure. I hope he doesn't play any games with the rest of the figures though.



Character: Sam
Appearance: Trick 'r Treat (movie, 2007)
Rarity: 2/24
Last but certainly not least is Sam! What a neat design, a take on a trick-or-treat-er being a villain. His design is what I love about him, and the figures does it justice. Like Billy, they did something unique for his head too. He's the first figure to get unique treatment for his whole head that doesn't quite fit the stylization (probably because it's a mask). It turned out great and one I'd recommend even as a figure to get for Halloween.

---
Alright that is it for Horror Classics Series 1! Just a great set overall and not one real dud in the line in my opinion. I've been gushing about it throughout the reviews. It is unique in that other companies like NECA and McFarlane have released lines like this before, but not all at once. This is the first of it's kind in releasing this much variety and iconic horror movie icons, at least to this extent. Here is a summarized list of Series 1:







Here is my personal list of what the best and my favorite top fives are:
Top Five (Best Figures):
1. Jason
2. Ash
3. Pennywise
4. Leatherface
5. Chucky

Top Five (Favorites):
1. Ghostface
2. Pennywise
3. Jason
4. Sam
5. Leatherface

There you have it! Hope you enjoyed the reviews. In the future I may add more photos, such as a group or comparison shots. I'll go onto Series 2 in the future, so stay tuned! Thanks!