Saturday, September 16, 2017

Horror Classics Mystery Minis - Series 2 - Review (Part 2), Conclusion

(if you haven't already, feel free to check out the Horror Classics Series 2 Introduction and Review (Part 1) Posts)

In the last post we covered 10 of the 20 figures in Horror Classics Series 2. This time we'll cover the last 10 and give my final thoughts.

Before we move on, let's talk about those Hot Topic exclusives.(rant ahead, you can skip over this)
As stated in the Introduction Post, Hot Topic released a Case which had exclusive figures. Hot Topic had been releasing exclusive cases with other Mystery Mini series (Walking Dead, etc.). The downside is that they made one of the exclusives a 1/36, and another a 1/72. I think this was absolutely terrible and a bad decision by Funko. Case layouts were becoming very easy to tell when go to the store, so if you saw a Case with the front two boxes gone, you knew the 1/36 or 1/72 were gone from that Case. Not only that, but stores didn't get many Cases, probably not even 6 Cases. That means you may not even have a chance of getting that 1/72.

So if you want to complete the series, or just get a single figure you have to:
Only be able to buy Boxes from a certain store
Get there before others do (because they'll get the 1/72 or 1/36 first)
Hope your store even got the exclusive(s) in the Case
I still like buying these figures, but 1/72 store exclusives, let alone store exclusives at all, seem sort of anti-consumer. Alas, I was able to obtain them by shear luck. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that though, and my luck wasn't so good after this.
(end of rant)

Alrighty then, let's get onto those figures:

Character: Cinema Gremlin
Appearance: Gremlins (movie, 1984)
Rarity: 1/12 (Hot Topic Case only)
This is funny Gremlin wearing the 3D glasses during the movie scene. I think this was a great choice for a figure from Gremlins. He would be great on your shelf next to your movie collection, or mixed in with the rest of your monsters. I like the pose and attention to detail in the paint like they did Stripe. From what I can tell, this is an entirely new sculpt.


Character: David
Appearance: The Lost Boys (movie, 1987)
Rarity: 1/12
I didn't know much about this movie till I got the figure. At first I didn't care too much for David, but after watching the movie I really appreciated him! He has a cool pose, holding a take-out box like he did in the movie. This was probably the best pose/figure they could have chosen for his character, and I love the fangs showing through his mouth! Very cool, underrated!


Character: Pinhead the Lead Cenobite
Appearance: Hellraiser (movie, 1987)
Rarity: 1/72
This figure is really neat in how detailed it is! The little pins are all painted, and even the Lament Configuration has nice paint application. He fits well with Series 1 especially, and a great addition to this series of horror classic icons!




Character: Betelgeuse
Appearance: Beetlejuice (movie, 1988)
Rarity: 1/12
The ghost with the most, it's Betelgeuse (aka Beetlejuice)! While I don't consider Beetlejuice a horror movie, it definitely had some cool monster designs! The pose on the figure is perfect. He even has his ring detailed and painted. This is a great figure for any fan of Beetlejuice, and a welcome addition to the line-up.

Character: Edward Scissorhands
Appearance: Edward Scissorhands (movie, 1990)
Rarity: 1/12
Now here's where it hits a gray area for me. Is Edward Scissorhands really horror? I guess it's macabre in some ways. The figure is insanely detailed, but unfortunately it's hard to make out much of it. Like The Creature, a lot of work went into this figure. I remember liking the movie, and I'm sure many people (me included) are happy to add this to their collection, being a horror classic or not.

Character: Eric Draven
Appearance: The Crow (movie, 1994)
Rarity: 1/36 (Hot Topic Case only)
A slight variant on The Crow from the regular case, it's Eric Draven before his transformation to his persona. The head is a re-use from The Crow figure, but the rest of the body is completely new. I like that the pose is the same. The guitar is nicely detailed. It's strange to see a more naked figure in this line with these proportions. I think they pulled it off well!


Character: Eric Draven (The Crow)
Appearance: The Crow (movie, 1994)
Rarity: 1/36
First off, I really like this figure. Is he really a horror classic though? What I suspect happened was he was thrown into the line as a nod to McFarlane's Movie Maniacs line which also had The Crow. I notice there are quite a few characters like that which otherwise don't seem appropriate otherwise. Back to the figure: Again I really like it. The pose is cool and the way the jacket flares out makes it seem dynamic. Note that I think this is from the movie, not the comic appearance. I'm not well versed in The Crow, just a judgement call.

Character: Shaun Riley
Appearance: Shaun of the Dead (movie, 2004)
Rarity: 1/12
Finishing off the Series with characters from Shaun of the Dead. Here's the main character, Shaun! It's neat how they made him hold the cricket bat from the scene where he fights the zombies with Ed. I'm sure many people were happy to have these two (Ed is next) in the set. I also like how closely he resembles the character in the movie. Good job Funko!


Character: Ed
Appearance: Shaun of the Dead (movie, 2004)
Rarity: 1/12 (Regular Case only)
Shaun's friend Ed, carrying a shovel, from the same scene Shaun is depicted in. Like Shaun, I like how they were able to capture the character in this style and people can clearly tell where they are from. Some characters like Jason are clearly iconic with the hockey mask, but Ed and Shaun have a more down to earth look to them. Funko did a great job in capturing them both in this series.

Character: Ed (Zombie)
Appearance: Shaun of the Dead (movie, 2004)
Rarity: 1/72 (Hot Topic Case only)
Yikes! I don't know what's scarier: Zombie Ed or this figure being a 1/72 store exclusive! This figure is quite an interesting one. It's a repaint of the Ed figure, yet in the movie he is in shackles and doesn't hold a shovel while a zombie. I think it's a neat variant, don't get me wrong. It just seems like it could have been a bit better had they added a new mold for the hands.



Getting my rant earlier about the Hot Topic exclusives out the way, I thought this was a really solid series. The decision to go into the older movies and 'classic' horror characters was really welcome in my opinion. My favorites were there Universal monsters, Orlock, The Fly, and the Werewolf. I also liked how we got 12 figures per case with no extras. The 1/24 was also nice since that lead to variety in rarer figures from case to case.

This series may be considered weaker than Series 1 in terms of characters to some people. I can see where they are coming from, since Series 1 was more related to slasher, scary movies, while Series 2 was more older and comedy movies. There were a few others added in that didn't seem necessary. Like said before, I highly suspect that it was as a nod to the Movie Maniacs line from McFarlane which this line of figures seems to draw heavily from. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and in fact I like it. It gives opportunity to give us figures from other movies and mediums. I really liked Series 2 and think it's almost as good as Series 1 with character selection. Maybe a bit too heavy on the non-horror characters, but at least we got some variety.

This series did so well again that they made a Series 3, mixing in the best of both worlds! I'll talk about that in a future post. For now I'll leave my thoughts on the top 5 best figures and my favorite figures. Also a quick summary picture of figures in the series.

Thanks again for your time to read this! Hope you enjoyed!

Top 5 Best Figures:
1. The Creature
2. Edward Scissorhands
3. Pinhead
4. Cthulhu
5. The Crow

Top 5 Favorite Figures:
1. The Fly
2. Werewolf
3. Count Orlock
4. The Creature
5. Cinema Gremlin