Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Horror Classics Mystery Minis - Series 4 - Predictions, Thoughts

Last Updated: 08/01/2018

I thought it would be fun to try my guess at the potential next Series in the Horror Classics Mystery Mini line by Funko. In 2014 we got Series 1, 2015 Series 2, 2016 and 2017 Series 3. In 2018, what can we expect?

I thought I could try my hand at predicting what could be in store for Series 4. These predictions are based on previous series, other Funko products, and some wild speculation on my part. Let's get into it!

The best starting place are the scrapped designs from Series 3:

Norman Bates from Psycho (1960), and Carrie White from Carrie (1976) were both scrapped from Series 3 due to licensing issues (see left images for their concept art).

Recently we've received merchandise of both these characters, meaning this may not be an issue if they made a Series 4!

Funko has made recent merchandise in 2017 and 2018 which could fit well as a Horror Classics Mystery Mini:
(Source for all images: https://www.funko.com/blog)

Pennywise from the 2017 IT movie seems like an excellent choice. They also made POP figures of the Loser's Club members (Bill, Richie, etc.). It seems there will be a line of Mystery Minis only for IT in the near future. If this is true, his chances may be slim. However, I'd still like to see him show up in the Horror Classics line.

Krampus would be a good choice considering they made a POP and a Pint Size Hero of him. Since he doesn't have a license attached to him, it seems like an effective choice for the line. The POP figure had several color variations too.

They made an Annabelle POP from the Conjuring series, and then a series of sequels/prequels (a few focused on Annabelle). I could see a Mystery Mini of her in the future.

They made Jack and the Grady Twins in Series 3. They made POP figures of Wendy and Danny, worth mentioning in case they make more The Shining Mystery Minis in the future.

Black Phillip from The Witch was also just announced! What a bizarre yet appropriate choice for a POP. It seems like the best character to represent the movie though, so I wouldn't mind a Mystery Mini of it too.

The Little Shop of Horrors was announced for a POP line (including Audrey II). This seems like a great contender for the Mystery Minis line, and I'm totally rooting for it to come to fruition! I'm sure we'll see more about it in the future.

Pan's Labyrinth was just announced and revealed for the POP line. It's a drama fantasy movie, but many times I've seen it called horror for the Pale Man. While it may not be a Horror Classic, just like The Crow, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands, it fits that horror/macabre theme.
- -
- -
Five Universal Monsters have had Mystery Minis, but several others still remain:

So far we've seen Metalluna Mutant, Frankenstein's Monster, The Creature, The Werewolf, and The Mummy as Mystery Minis.  Funko has also made merchandise of Dracula, Frankestein's Bride, The Phantom of the Opera, and The Invisible Man. It would be neat to see any of these characters show up in future Mystery Mini form, especially Dracula! It would be neat to see others like Mole Man, Hunchback, etc.
Friday the 13th has some POP figures:

This year Part 2 Jason (masked) was announced as a POP. Last year the Part 6 Jason was released as a POP. A while back the Unmasked Jason (which I think is based off the Freddy Vs. Jason version) was released as a POP too. There are even more Jason variants out there, and they could include Pamela Vorehees too.
Some other choices that slightly fall into the 'horror' themes:

Gremlins has a lot of variety, and Stripe was included in Series 2. I suspect we'll see more Gremlin figures in the future, like Gizmo. Funko announced new POP figures this year in 2018 of new Gremlins, so these are potential contenders too.

Donnie Darko, although not particularly horror, falls under that macabre movie theme this series sometimes touches on. Funko made Dorbz of them not too long ago. I could see a Frank the Rabbit show up as a Mystery Mini.


Alright so I think that's it for potentials for franchises that could get Horror Classics treatment. Now to summarize, I speculate the following:
1. Norman Bates (B/W variant potentially?)
2. Carrie White
3. Krampus
4. Annabelle
5. Frank the Rabbit
6. Pennywise (2017)
7. Jason (from one the movies, maybe Part 2 or 3?)
8. Freddy (from one of the movies, maybe Super Freddy?)
9. Michael Myers (could see him again)
10. Universal Monster #1 (Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera, Invisible Man)
11. Universal Monster #2 (see above)
(a clear variant of the Invisible Man would be cool)
12. (Glow Variant of a figure, maybe Pennywise again?)
13. Audrey II
14. Pale Man
15. Gizmo, or a Gremlin (besides Stripe)
(The following is solely based on speculation/wanting)
16. Sadako (from The Ring, newer but still iconic)
17. Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (to keep with the Ghostbusters theme)
18. Tall Man (from Phantasm, horror classic icon)
19. Candy Man (another horror classic icon)
20. Pumpkinhead (horror icon)
21. The Thing (headcrab or dog form, and/or the original 1951 version)
22. Dr. Caligari (public domain in U.S., so shouldn't hurt to make, just might be too obscure?)

I have a ton of other ideas I've seen people say before and some I'd love to have myself. Usually we get around 20 figures, so I'll stop there (otherwise I'd have about 40 or 50).

For fun, here was my wish list/prediction list for Series 3. As you can see, I don't have that good of a track record... got some right though! The Jaws shark was my most wanted, so that was great to get. Others are ones I doubt we'd get but thought I'd throw them out there anyway (indifferent to).

I made an updated prediction list for fun (updated 08/01/2018):

I'm adding some personal sketches of what I thought some of the Mystery Mini figures could look like. I updated it from last time (removed Toshio from Ju-on: The Grudge), and added an indication of different drawings on the same character (I'm slowly getting better I think...). Can you recognize them? I hope to see most of these in a future series!

Thanks for reading! Let me know what your favorites are too, and which ones you want, or think may make it into Series 4!

2 comments:

  1. I gave up on funko pops as they were just taking up space and money but the mystery minis are still the bomb. I have the whole first and second series and most of the 3rd so im really hoping for series 4. I'd love to see the crypt keeper and some creepshow minis but more hellraiser minis are what im hoping for the most! chatterer would be amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! It would be neat to see Chatterer, cool idea!

      Delete