Friday, June 26, 2020

News Post: Five Nights at Freddy's Mystery Minis - Series 5

Series 5

The new series for FNaF is finally revealed! And I have very mixed, mostly negative, reaction. I have some thoughts on what happened. They are all based on the upcoming Security Breach game coming out later this year. Below are the promotional images (as of June 26th, 2020) for the wave. I took the images and re-organized them for clarity.



We've got Glamrock Freddy, Glamrock Chica, Roxanne Wolf, Montomgery Gator, and Vanny. We also got several variants of the characters... this wave is mostly variants...


 
First impressions are I really like the main five figures. I think they look great, assuming they are accurate to the final designs. I especially like Vanny and the flocked Vanny variant. The rest of them don't really makes sense to me, unless there's going to be a blacklight show in the game. Why so many different variants too? Why no Monty blacklight? Why a metalic variant, a glitter/glow variant, and a glow variant, and a flocked variant? Why the inconsistency? What I'm upset about is the lack of Help Wanted characters. No Dreadbear or Grimm Foxy? Nothing from Help Wanted, which reuses so many characters from figures they already made? No Mangle?! No Mangle!! No Glitchtrap/Spring Bonnie!! No anyone!!! What happened?!

Theory Behind the Release
I'm going to go out on a limb here and theorize what happened behind the scenes. Security Breach I suspect was delayed till the end of 2020 as it was probably planned for a late summer release. Funko had the wave slated for August 2020. That would have been perfect, right? People always complain (me included) how we get figures late. But now we'll be getting the game, and then the figures immediately afterwards. Remember, they were planning for this since February 2020.

I'm suspecting the game's delay threw a wrench in Funko's plans. They already made the figures, so they can't recoup losses so easily. Plus the pandemic made things even worse for most companies. They were probably short on availability for this series after the pandemic hit, but need to release it anyways. They were probably only given early designs for the characters to hold over while the game was being worked on. I suspect there are more characters in the game than what was leaked. I suspect that Funko had to make this wave and fill it in with only a few select characters that were provided to them. That is my rationalizing theory on why the wave turned out like it is. I think we may get store exclusives on top of this that haven't been finalized, along with a possible revision to this wave or more characters being added.

Follow-up Thoughts
If my theory is true, then the only issue with that is why not fill it in with other characters from say Help Wanted? Perhaps their contract only allowed Security Breach characters? Remember that this is a contract through Steel Wool studios this time, not particularly Scott Cawthon only. There is probably a strict license agreement they have to abide by. Now that's just my theory, and I could totally be wrong on this. However, if Funko really did have the plans for this wave to end up like this: That would be a very sleazy, scummy move. This would be the lowest of the low for them in my eyes. Even worse if Scott or Steel Wool didn't approve of this. There would be a huge backlash against them. They've leaked things before, but I don't susepct this is the case. I think they had to force their hand on this wave. I'm guessing this isn't the end. I'm guessing there is more to the story than what we've seen. Funko is definetly coming off as the villains in this situation, but I won't throw them under the bus.
 

It's hard to be a fan of the Mystery Minis these days. Horror Classics hasn't happened since Series 3. The Universal Monsters wave was really scummy, although I did like most of the figures. No Sci-Fi series since Series 2. Now we've got a new FNaF MM series and this happens. Funko's got their fans, like myself, and want to see them succeed and make the best FNaF merchandise ever. But with moves like this, what does this tell us how they view us? I know they aren't our friends, they're just trying to make good merchandise to earn a living. I think this is going to hurt them if an update doesn't occur. I really hope this is all a big misunderstanding. Only time will tell...

 When I originally wrote the Follow-up Thoughts section above, I was clearly upset and emotionally driven. After reflecting on what I wrote and how I view the situation, I apologize for my angry words. I sincerely do wish we could have been sold a better wave of figures, but they are just figures. There is no reason to get so upset over something like this. I appreciate those that read this blog and hope that these angry words or feelings didn't affect you. Moving on, I'll take more time to reflect before posting!

Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment