Saturday, April 7, 2018

Five Nights at Freddy's Mystery Minis - Series 1 - Review (Part 1)

(If you haven't already, feel free to check out the Introduction Post)

This is the first series of the Five Nights at Freddy's (FNaF) line of mystery minis. This series included characters from FNaF, FNaF 2, and FNaF 3. Most of the cast from each game appear, including some obscure characters.  I'll review each figure in order of their appearance per game order. There are a few characters I'm not quite sure where to put, so I placed them where I felt was most appropriate.The same goes for some of the names of figures. There are 20 figures in the first series, so I'll do the first 12 in this review and the remaining 8 in the next.

Before I begin, I'd like to point out I'm adding slightly large watermarks to my images this time. In the past, I had the unpleasant experience of people claiming my work as their own as well questioning the authenticity of the data I provided in said work (for FNaF figure images). I don't like using watermarks, but feel they are necessary most of the time, especially for these series of figures and how I'm reviewing them.

Now that out of the way, we can get into the review already!


Character: Freddy Fazbear
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
This is the bear that started it all, Freddy Fazbear! The figure is neat and he comes with his microphone. He is holding the microphone in the wrong hand, and his ears are slightly big, but otherwise I think he looks great! A must have for any fan of the series!

Character: Bonnie the Rabbit
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
This is a neat figure, coming with the guitar like how you see Bonnie on stage. It even has a small tail on the back. There are no bends in the ears like we see in other Bonnie figures, but I think that's okay. The guitar is detailed well and the pose is solid.

Character: Chica the Chicken
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12 (Retail and Hot Topic only)
I like how they stylized wings on Chica's arms and feathers on her face, even though it's not like that in the game. It makes me think that would have been neat to see as Chica's original design. The printing on the bib is nicely applied and is an easy detail to overlook. The pose is also great too.

Character: Foxy the Pirate
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
He's captured very well in this set! I like his fierce expression, and the hook being raised up a bit. Also there are some subtle details like the wear marks around his body and pants. He's a favorite character of mine, so I'm glad they did him justice in the figure.

Character: Golden Freddy
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12 (Retail and Walmart only)
The menacing and mysterious Golden Freddy is captured greatly in this figure. The shadow effect around the eyes is well done. The ears are also slightly smaller than Freddy's ears, and are more accurate in my opinion. Good figure overall!

Character: Toy Freddy
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12 (Retail and Hot Topic only)
Just as adorable and terrifying as he was in the games. His eyes are blacked out, similar to how he appears in part of the game. Although I'd prefer them white like Toy Bonnie and Toy Chica, it does make him stand out from the cast and other Freddy figures. I think they nailed it with this figure!

Character: Toy Freddy (Glow)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12 (Walmart only)
This is a glow-in-the-dark variant of the regular Toy Freddy.  This is an original design Funko made themselves as it's not in the games. He does glow fairly well, just not much else to say about him. They made another glow Toy Freddy in the next series strangely enough. I think it's a neat figure though.

Character: Toy Bonnie
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12 (Retail only)
A fan favorite of many, they did the figure justice like the rest! The character itself is colorful, so it's great to see this translated into the figure. I like the slightly smug expression on him, since he does seem to be the more active and expressive of the Toy animatronics in the game. They did a good job.

Character: Toy Chica
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12 (Walmart only)
This is a neat figure that I think nearly matches her face in the game (she has a very round face). There's not much more to say, just glad they made her as she's on stage. Like the FNaF Chica, the nice detail of the bib is easily overlooked. I also like they used a unique sculpt for the hair.

Character: Toy Chica (Beakless)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/36 (Retail and Walmart only)
This is the version of Toy Chica you see when she roams off the stage. I always found her beakless version creepier. You see her like this the most throughout the game, so it makes sense to make her. Just like the regular Toy Chica, they did a good job with her.

Character: Toy Chica (Beakless) (Glow)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12 (Hot Topic only)
This is a glow-in-the-dark variant of the beakless Toy Chica. Like the Glow Toy Freddy, this one also isn't from the games or any medium. I guess someone at Funko really likes Toy Chica to have two variants of her and the FNaF 2 Cupcake? Like the Glow Toy Freddy, this one also glows well.

Character: Mangle (Funtime Foxy)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12 (Walmart only)
This is Mangle, presumably before being 'mangled'. I like to call this "Funtime Foxy" too (although "Mangle" is most appropriate). This is one of my favorites as both a figure and character! The broken eye socket is a nice touch. I hope they make a 'mangled' version in the future like Nightmare Mangle.

I hope you enjoyed the first part of the FNaF Series 1 Mystery Mini review!  I'll be sure to follow this up with the second part here shortly.  Thanks for your time!