Friday, January 26, 2018

Horror Classics - Series 3 - Review (Part 1)

(If you haven't already, feel free to check out the Introduction Post)

There are 21 figures in total within Funko's Horror Classic's Series 3 Mystery Mini set. This review will be broken into parts, where Part 1 will cover the first 12. I'll list them in order of date of first appearance. However, like Alfred Hitchcock in Series 2, Elvira kind of throws a wrench in the plan again. To mend this again I'll treat Elvira as 'first appearing' in the television show "Movie Macabre" (1981).

Lets get into those figures already!
---
Character: Imhotep (The Mummy)
Appearance: The Mummy (movie, 1932)
Rarity: 1/24 (Retail, Hot Topic), 1/12 (Walgreens)
The Mummy joins the collection! He isn't as colorful as other characters with the exception of the gold ring. His pose matches his look in the movie and I think makes it fairly clear who it is. One unfortunate aspect of the figure is how plain the colors are on him. There is a lot of detail hidden from afar due to the plain colors. This isn't a nick at the figure, just something I noticed. Like the Wolf Man, he is underrated in my opinion.



---
Character: Lawrence Talbot (The Wolf Man)
Appearance: The Wolf Man (movie, 1941)
Rarity: 1/6 (Retail, Hot Topic), 1/12 (Walgreens)
Another Universal monster welcome to the growing (or growling) collection. He joins this series with Imohtep (the Mummy). He looks a little different than the promotional material, but in a good way in my opinion. The pose and the design makes it clear who it represents. At 1/6 I'm sure many collectors are sick of him, but don't let his commodity change your opinion on him. A basic, yet effective, figure.

---
Character: Alex DeLarge
Appearance: A Clockwork Orange (movie, 1971)
Rarity: 1/12 (Retail only)
This is another one that doesn't quite fit in as a 'horror classic', but somehow does with the other figures in the series. I'm not a fan of the movie or the character and don't particularly care for the figure. However I'd be a liar to say they didn't do the figure justice with respect to the character. There is quite a lot of detail in him, from the cuff-lings to his make-up, and the pose itself being dynamic. If you're a fan of the movie and character, I'd recommend him. My guess is that he was added in in order to follow in the footsteps of other horror movie monster lines like Movie Maniacs. (Turns out I'm wrong in that last sentiment, since he never had a figure before this one that I was aware of. I must have been imagining things? Still, he definitely feels like he'd be an otherwise fine addition to movie monster toyline, such as Movie Maniacs or Cult Classics.)
---
Character: Alex DeLarge (Masked)
Appearance: A Clockwork Orange (movie, 1971)
Rarity: 1/12 (Walgreens only)
This is the same Alex figure, but now with the mask from that one scene. I'm not a fan of the movie, so this variant was brought with indifference to me. I'm sure fans of the movie and his character will enjoy it though. I don't think the mask is the most accurate to the movie, but with it being released later on and thought of as scrapped it's probably fine. The completion-ist in me was definitely happy to own it, so you won't hear any more complaints from me in that regard!
---
Character: Regan MacNeil
Appearance: The Exorcist (movie, 1973)
Rarity: 1/36 (Retail, Hot Topic), 1/12 (Walgreens)
A horror classic that feels just right in this series. The poor girl Regan got possessed and turns into this monster throughout the movie. This figure does a great job with the details: from the texture of the gown, to the unkept hair, and subtle marks across the face. She's also slightly smaller than other figures, so she fits in scale well. A really good figure that I think does the character justice.

 ---
Character: 'Bruce' (Shark)
Appearance: Jaws (movie, 1975)
Rarity: 1/6 (Retail, Hot Topic), 1/12 (Walgreens)
A figure I was also really rooting for since Series 2: the shark from Jaws! Apparently his name is Bruce, but I'm not keen enough on the series to know if this is the same shark. The figure looks different than the promotional material, with less blue and more gray. I think I would have liked more blue to the figure to add more color. It was clever to add the air tank to his mouth so it's clear what the figure is representing. He has quite some weight to him too. Overall a great choice, but one that left me wanting a little more effort. 
---
Character: Jack Torrence
Appearance: The Shining (movie, 1980)
Rarity: 1/12 (Retail only)
A very iconic character in the midst of horror movies. He was one I was rooting for to show up. They captured his look wonderfully by both putting him in his crazy look and giving him a lot of bulk. This is one of my favorites in the series!



---
Character: Jack Torrence (Frozen)
Appearance: The Shining (movie, 1980)
Rarity: 1/36 (Walgreens only)
A surprise addition, yet appropriate variant. This is Jack seen in one of the final scenes, frozen in the hedge maze. I like the blue hue added to him, as they could have easily just colored his skin and called it done. There is also a neat snowy spray on the top of his head. I think this figure was a clever addition to the series!


---
Character: Grady Twins
Appearance: The Shining (movie, 1980)
Rarity: 1/36 (Retail, Hot Topic), 1/12 (Walgreens)
First off, I was so glad to see they made this one figure (they are joined at the hands). It would have been so easy for them to make them separate figures. Second off, this is the first time we've got a figure like this. It's great to get representation from The Shining. Instead of just Jack or just the Grady Twins, they went with both. It's a somewhat ordinary figure until you you consider how similar they are and that they are holding hands like the movie scene. Anyway, just a great figure(s) overall!
---
Character: Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
Appearance: Movie Macabre (television show, 1981)
Rarity: 1/6 (Retail, Hot Topic), 1/12 (Walgreens)
An interesting addition to the series was Elvira, who is more of a horror icon than a horror movie character. She hosted a series of tv shows and starred in a few movies. The figure captures her look greatly, and there's quite some detail hidden even in the hair bun. I think her face is a little more round than it should be, but otherwise a great match. She also has her dagger detailed onto the leg. Oh, and she also captures that confident and charismatic nature in the pose the figure takes! Cool choice. Interesting, but very cool.
---
Character: Slimer
Appearance: Ghostbusters (movie, 1984)
Rarity: 1/12 (Retail only)
If someone told me Slimer would be in Series 3 I would have came off with indifference to the choice. If someone then told me he'd be one of my favorites of the series, I wouldn't believe them. Here I am though, considering this one of the best figures of the Series for several reasons. The design choice to keep him suspended with the slime, like his POP, is really clever. He also has a lot of detail for an otherwise simple design. His pose of excitement brings it all home. I'd recommend this figure to just about anyone!
---
Character: Slimer (Glow)
Appearance: Ghostbusters (movie, 1984)
Rarity: 1/12 (Hot Topic only)
This figure is identical to the normal Slimer figure, but with some subtle differences in plastic choices to make him glow slightly. The more opaque plastic in the slime will give it away which one is the glow variant. Series 1 and 2 both had glow figures, which I felt were somewhat gimmicky and strange choices. Making Slimer the glow figure in this series felt much more appropriate (I would even go as far as saying they should have made the glow version the regular one). Due note the glow is very faint though.
---

There's the first batch of figures, and what a cool series! The next 9 figures will be covered in the next Review post. Thanks again for your time!