Sunday, December 23, 2018

Five Nights at Freddy's Mystery Minis - Series Blacklight 1 - Review, Conclusion

(If you haven't already, feel free to check out the Introduction Post)

In this review, I'll be going over all 14 of the FNaF Blacklight Mystery Minis! They are unique color variations of previously released figures. I'll list them in order of first appearance of the figures those characters were based off of. Honestly I don't have much to say about many of these figures. I'll list some things I like, don't like, etc. for the most part. I have a Conclusion at the end where I gather my thoughts on the series, and followed by a ranking of favorites.

Note: Some of the names I'm listing are not official. They are sometimes based off what I think is most appropriate, or what other more official sources may call them.


Character: Freddy Fazbear (Blacklight, Pink)
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
This is the bear that started it all, Freddy Fazbe-err, a pinkish variant of him at least. I like how he looks since you don't see Freddy in bright colors often. He's a neat looking figure that pops out on the desk and even among others in the series. He's one of my favorites in the series.

Character: Chica the Chicken (Blacklight, Purple)
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
Chica spots a purple and yellow/orange motif. She has green cheeks like a Toy design, even though she doesn't normally have cheeks. Even the Series 1 Chica didn't have cheeks. Perhaps it was because they wanted to blend the Toy Chica and Chica designs for the Blacklights? Not sure why. I think I've spent too much time on this.. I really like that the bib is colored black with bright letters! She's also one of my favorites.

Character: Foxy the Pirate (Blacklight, Green)
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
This is the green variant of Foxy! I like that they colored his tooth pink, and that his eyelid has a darker green.

Character: Foxy the Pirate (Blacklight, Purple)
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
This Foxy variant is purple, complimenting the green variant well! Note that the pants are a darker green, kind of like the green used for the green Foxy's eyelid. I like the yellow used for the gold tooth.

Character: Golden Freddy (Blacklight, Yellow)
Appearance: FNaF
Rarity: 1/12
Golden Freddy now sports purple attire instead of black. This makes him look similar to Fredbear, which I think was intentional. He really pops the most from this set based on his colors. The plastic/paint used gives off this glowing appearance under light. He's one of my favorites!

Character: Toy Freddy (Blacklight, Blue)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12
This one is Toy Freddy, based off the colors in the blue plush Freddy. I think he looks nice in the blue, especially with the yellow feet and ears. This is now the 4th variation of this Toy Freddy we've got so far (original, glow, glow v2 released before). It's a good character to choose though, and I like this one better than the glow variants we got before.

Character: Toy Bonnie (Blacklight, Green)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12
This is Toy Bonnie with a green attire. The green and yellow kind of give me an Easter Bunny sort of vibe. I like how this one turned out!

Character: Toy Chica (Beakless) (Blacklight, Blue)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/36
This is Toy Chica, without the beak, now in blue. Once again I think it's funny how often we've seen this version of Toy Chica versus the other. Like Toy Freddy, this is the 4th variation of Toy Chica (3rd if you don't count the normal one). I like it though, so no complaints here!

Character: Marionette (Blacklight, Purple)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12
The Marionette/Puppet now in purple! I've seen someone make this into a custom Purple Man online before (I'll post it if I can find it again), and now I see where they are coming from. Based off that custom, I am thinking it's why the chose purple for this character. Its a nice color choice for Marionette. This is another favorite of mine from this series.

Character: Balloon Boy (Blacklight, Yellow)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12
This is Balloon Boy in yellow. He reminds me of the tv show The Simpsons (I'm guessing that is why they chose yellow). He looks good though. The colors for the attire kind of remind me of JJ from FNaF 2 as well.

Character: Endoskeleton (Blacklight, Blue)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/36
The Endoskeleton from FNaF 2 now in blue. Note that they used two shades of blue: a darker blue and lighter blue. It looks really nice on the figure. The purple tie also adds some variety.

Character: Cupcake (Blacklight, Green)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/12
This is a green variant of the Cupcake from FNaF 2. I noticed that they used the dark eyelids like they were planning on using for the scrapped FNaF 1 Cupcake design. I'm wondering if that was a carryover from a previous design? Either way I think the color choices look good.

Character: Cupcake (Blacklight, Purple)
Appearance: FNaF 2
Rarity: 1/36
This is a purple variant of the Cupcake from FNaF 2. Like stated above, the dark eyelids are like the FNaF 1 Cupcake. I like how the colors look. Strange they made this one a chase figure and left the Foxy variants as 1/12. Ah well, glad we have it!

Character: Springtrap (Blacklight, Blue)
Appearance: FNaF 3
Rarity: 1/12
Springtrap, now coated in blues, pink, and purple. On top of being stuck in a suit, I'm sure this new color pallet doesn't please him.. I like it though! They used two tones of blue for him. The eyes are like the Series 1 Springtrap. The wires being pink help highlight the many details in the mold itself.

Conclusion

When they announced this series I was a bit taken back. This is the second time they re-released the Series 1 figures, and this time it didn't seem to be justified. Funko really pushed the Blacklights, even so far as to having their own display stand (figures, minis, pens, etc.) during release. I'm sure Gamestop employees weren't too pleased to have the stands up in their already crowded stores along with several 3 ft. plushies... I'm an avid fan of FNaF, but I didn't get the logic behind these. Was this just a way to get more funding for the series? Maybe a way to test the waters on how popular the series still was? Or worse: a way to milk the license while they still had it? If you ask me, I think it was a mix of all those things. Yet as much as I'd like to rant about this, there's zero reason to complain on this side. We are still getting new FNaF merchandise in stores, even if they aren't tied directly to the games.

Funko obviously knows its audience though since I ended up buying the entire series like usual. My opinion on them changed quickly when I had them in my hands. The promo images don't do them justice. They really looked nice and vibrant, especially under a bright light. Now there were a few figures I got that had bad quality control issues. It was a mixed bag with some being nearly flawless and others having bad paint or plastic errors. Luckily it was easy to get extras this time around. And the rarities, oh boy, the rarities were just as I'd expect them to be! I'm happy they went with 1/12 and only 3 chases (1/36) this time like Series 1. It wasn't hard at all to complete this series for me since they didn't seem as popular as the previous releases.

In the end these are an innocent release of figures. They brought some mixed opinions with fans, with some loving them, others hating them, and many seeing indifference. It didn't help that Funko released these before the FFPS figures. Fans had been waiting patiently for more FFPS merchandise since it's release. I get it, and I was on the fence till they grew on me. Now they are proudly displayed with my other minis, and really stand out among the other darker, less colorful characters in the series. They remind me of something you'd see in the 80s or 90s. They have a charm to them, like those strange variants they had of superhero or monster toys companies like Kenner might release. I liked these figures more than the Glow ones, and wouldn't mind another set of Blacklight in the future! But for the sake of ones like Toy Freddy, I'd like to see them use unique or less commonly used molds too (like Shadow Bonnie or the Fredbear Plush).


Now onto the rankings. I'll list the five best ones in terms of quality, design, etc. and my five favorites (all based on opinion of course):

Top 5 Bests:
1. Chica (BL, Purple)
2. Springtrap (BL, Blue)
3. Toy Bonnie (BL, Green)
4. Foxy the Pirate (BL, Green or Purple)
5. Endoskeleton (BL, Blue)

Top 5 Favorites:
1. Freddy Fazbear (BL, Pink)
2. Golden Freddy (BL, Yellow)
3. Chica (BL, Purple)
4. Endoskeleton (BL, Blue)
5. Marionette (BL, Purple)


That's a wrap! Thanks for your time! Have a good one, and see you in the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment